Sunday, June 14, 2015

Le Challenge - Single

This month's Le Challenge theme is "single" and I found it to be quite fun.  There were so many projects that I have that would fit this theme, such as single color, single designer, single block, or single orphan block.

In the end, I chose to work on a scrappy WIP that used a single shape.  This rainbow mini is 12x14 and was pieced by hand.  Since I like using these monthly challenges to try new techniques, I thought I would try big stitch quilting.  The results are nice, but I wonder if I need to make the stitches larger next time.


The single shape that I used was not a triangle, but a shape that Sarah Fielke used to create the Jazz Hands pattern.  I used a cardboard template last year when I created my Jazz Hands which was pieced and quilted by hand.


It was so much fun to make this quilt, that I knew I wanted to make another one someday.  I'm not much of a template gal, but I got this template at Quiltcon 2015 and used it to make the mini.  No more cardboard templates now.

Please check out all of the other "single" themed projects this month at Le Challenge.

 photo LeChalleng

Finishing this project is #2 on my 2nd Quarter 2015 Finish-Along list.

2015 FAL at On the Windy Side

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous mini and the stitching looks perfect! It's hard to do big stitches on small shapes, I think it's proportional! I love how you put those shapes together and that would be perfect for scraps. Thanks for linking to le challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute mini quilt! I love everything about it! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess I wasn't as original as I thought. :-) I really like the extra interest the jazz hands shape gives to your triangles. knitnkwilt.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely mini, and your quilt is stunning too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute mini quilt. I think your big-stitch quilting looks great. Congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful mini - love your hand quilting and how you used the shapes to form the triangles.
    *Visiting as a member of the official 2015 Finish-Along cheerleading squad*

    ReplyDelete