Monday, September 24, 2012

Design Wall Monday - Proverbial Quilt Progress

I have been getting positive feedback on my Proverbial Quilt.  But, progress has stalled because I needed some more background fabric.  I just got some Kona snow yardage, so I expect to get back to work on the quilt this week.  While I was waiting for fabric, I started a second Proverbial Quilt.
  
I have also received questions on how I created the letters.  This is the process that I used for the letters, which go together quite fast using a jelly roll.  
I traced the letter "A" on tissue paper that I found in a gift bag (I had already used all of the tissue paper that I could find in my shoe boxes).  Then, I cut pieces of fabric to cover the letter and sewed them to the tissue paper.  Since these are wonky letters, I did not worry if I did not sew exactly on the lines.


I continued sewing the pieces of the letter "A" making sure that I had enough fabric for the outer seam allowances.  Iron the letter flat.  (I waited till a I had bunch of letters made, then ironed them all at once).



 
Flip over the letter and locate the outer outline of the letter.  Add 1/4 inch to the outside and trim all sides of the letter.  I removed the paper backing before I joined the letters together.

I hope that my process will help you when you create your letters.  If you have any questions, please let me know.

Linking up today to Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times.

Also, its back!  2012 Blogtoberfest hosted this year at I Saw You Dancing.  This is a fun event where you challenge yourself to post every day in October.  I did this last year and loved it.  More info and sign ups found at Blogtoberfest 2012 


3 comments:

  1. Wow -- that's quite a process! But it looks great!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Denise. But so worth it.

    blessings, jill
    visiting from plum and june

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for spreading the love, Mina! I'm rapt you will be joining us for Blogtoberfest12.
    We all need a bit more quilty love in our lives, methinks. xxx

    ReplyDelete